Thursday, January 2, 2014

new year, new you

Well, another year has come and gone and with all the excitement that comes with the start of a new year of starting fresh it's also a good time to sit back and reflect on the year that has passed. 

Looking back, 2013 was a pretty good year. I learned some new things, challenged myself, made some new friends and even had a milestone birthday. Not bad for 12 little months. 

Here is a quick look at some of the great things that happened in 2013:

  • I took up hot yoga, something I've wanted to do for years but never had to guts to actually attend a class. Now I go several times a week at a great little studio where everybody knows your name.
  • I turned 30 years old. While I was sad to say goodbye to my 20s, I'm also really excited to see what my 30s will bring.  
  • I finally got the hang of things at my new-ish job and have even made some pretty great friends along the way. Friendships take time when you're a grown up, they don't happen over night. But with time a little effort and stepping out of your comfort zone you can and should make new friends.

2014: While no one really knows what the future holds here are some of the things I have resolved to try and accomplish this new year: 

  • To read more. I love reading books, but somewhere along the way with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the Internet in general I've lost my way. I vow to read more this year and to make it more of a priority in my life. After all, I'm in my thirties now, it's time I become well read. 
  • Take more pictures. As with my last resolution, the Internet and smart phones have led me astray from capturing great moments on film. While my iPhone is a great way to quickly snap a shot, I miss the days of looking through photos from the night before and reminiscing (as cringe worthy as they may be). I will take more photos AND PRINT THEM OUT. 
  • Be more mindful of what I choose to put on the Internet. This may seem like an oxymoron, but let me explain. I love social networking in theory. However, I want to reflect on all the things I put out into the world as well as what I take in from the Internet and make sure I'm adding to the variety of social media in a meaningful way and not just adding to the garbage that has ruined the Internet's rep (I'm talking to you, hashtags and selfies). 

With that said, here's to a happy and healthy new year! 
-kim

No comments:

Post a Comment